Friday 10 August 2007

The two Sebastiens

I notice today that Torro Rosso have signed three-time Champ Car champion Sebastien Bourdais at the expense of poor Tonio Liuzzi. This is a big coup for the sister Red Bull team and makes for quite a strong line-up for next year what with young Vettel also at the helm.

“It has been a long time coming, but here we are!” said Bourdais.

“I would like to thank everyone at Red Bull for believing in me and giving me this long-awaited opportunity to race in Formula 1. I must also thank Newman/Haas/Lanigan Racing for letting me pursue my dream and allowing me to test for Scuderia Toro Rosso a few times this year.”

I still don’t believe Vettel has quite lived up to the hype that was generated during his various testing commitments. Yes, yes I know, the Torro Rosso is a dog of a car to be making your debut season in and he is only what nineteen years old? But I just don’t get it. His debut with BMW at Indy wasn’t particularly exciting – don’t get me wrong it was a solid drive for a rookie – and he made a lot of silly mistakes at Hungary.

I don’t want it to come across that I am against the guy, but I need a bit more convincing before I make my mind up about him.

No comments: